1. Heat the olive oil in a paella pan or a large heavy-based pot. Add the garlic, onion and red pepper and sauté until soft and translucent.
2. Add the tomatoes and paprika, reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes or until fragrant.
3. Stir in the rice and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the chicken stock and bring to the boil.
4. Reduce the heat and cook uncovered until the rice has absorbed most of the liquid.
5. Cook for a further 10 minutes or until the rice is cooked.
6. Stir in the pilchards and cook until they are heated through.
7. Season with salt and pepper and serve hot with lemon wedges.