- Preparation time
- 20 mins
- Cooking time
- 15 mins
- 2 people
- Meal course
- Posted by
- Posted on
- November 22, 2017
Recipe by Afropotluck
The Nigerian Fish Roll is one of our popular street foods in Nigeria and they are easy to make. It is simply a snack made of a pastry dough which is similar to the and the and wrapped in a spicy Fish filling. It’s actually one of the simplest Nigerian pastry pie you can make at home.
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/forge/default/public/wp-content/themes/SocialChef/single-recipe.php on line 178
- In a bowl, combine the Fish with the Onion, Green Onion, and cayenne pepper, Mash and set aside.
- In another Bowl, add the Flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and margarine. Then use your finger to incorporate the margarine into the flour until it comes out crumbly.
- Crack the Egg and mix with the flour until it’s absorbed. Then add water a little at a time over the pastry until the dough comes together, becomes soft and workable.
- Transfer the dough to a work surface and knead for 3 to 5 minutes, then cover it up and leave it to rest for 10 minutes.
- Roll out the dough to about 1/8th inch thick, then cut into small rectangles. This is subject to how big you want your Fish rolls to be. You don’t need to be perfect in cutting out the rectangles since it’s still going to be rolled out – no one will see the imperfection.
- Take each of the cut-out dough. Spoon about 1 to 1-11/2 Tablespoons of the mashed Fish inside the pastry. Then roll the dough as you would roll up a mat and secure the tips a little bit to prevent the fish from spilling into the Oil. Place the Fish Rolls on a tray until ready to fry. Repeat with the remaining pastry dough and filling.
- Preheat some vegetable oil in a deep pan. Fry a couple of Fish rolls at a time, being careful not to crowd them. Once both sides is friedtill golden brown, drain on paper towels.
- erve hot, warm or cold with your favorite drink. Enjoy!